VolViewer is an open source application for the interactive visualisation and quantification of biological data. The application is written in C++ using OpenGL and Qt.
- Real-time volume rendering using an optimized 3D texture slicing algorithm.
- Interactive transfer functions to independently adjust opacity and luminance for up to three data channels.
- Real-time per channel thresholding, brightness and contrast operators.
- On-the-fly gradient computation for local illumination.
- Iso-surface computation with surface smoothing.
- Section viewing in any orientation / position.
- Real-time volume clipping.
- 3D measurements, filters & segmentation.
- Key frame interpolation for easy movie creation/export by interpolating transformations, clipping and transfer function states.
Requirements: An OpenGL 2.1 / GLSL 1.20 compatible GPU with a recomended 512MB of memory.
Image Gallery / Sample Data *
|Antirinhium Meristem||Antirinhium Seedling||Arabidopsis Leaf (GL2:GUS expression in red)||Arabidopsis Meristem (Ath8:::GUS expression in red)|
* all data courtesy of Karen Lee 
Although we try to keep up to date builds these sometimes lag behind the SVN trunk. So if you want the latest version / features, it is best to build the application from the trunk of the SVN. The build system is based on qmake for easy cross platform compilation.
|Windows (32bit)||Windows (64bit)||Linux (64bit)||MacOS X (i386/x86_64/10.6+)|
VolViewer has appeared in the following:
- Front cover: Handbook of Plant Science
- Bundled with the commercial Optical Projection Tomography Bioptonic 3001 scanner: Bioptonics Viewer
- In the Guardian newspaper: 3D Fruit fly
- Showcased in the Qt Ambassador program.