VolViewer is an open source application for the interactive visualisation and quantification of biological data. The application is written in C++ using OpenGL and Qt.
- Real-time volume rendering using an optimized 3D texture slicing algorithm.
- Interactive transfer functions to independently adjust opacity and luminance for up to three data channels.
- Real-time per channel thresholding, brightness and contrast operators.
- On-the-fly gradient computation for local illumination.
- Iso-surface computation with surface smoothing.
- Section viewing in any orientation / position.
- Real-time volume clipping.
- 3D measurements, filters & segmentation.
- Key frame interpolation for easy movie creation/export by interpolating transformations, clipping and transfer function states.
Requirements: An OpenGL 2.1 / GLSL 1.20 compatible GPU with a recomended 512MB of memory.
Image Gallery / Sample Data *
|Antirinhium Meristem||Antirinhium Seedling||Arabidopsis Leaf (GL2:GUS expression in red)||Arabidopsis Meristem (Ath8:::GUS expression in red)|
* all data courtesy of Karen Lee 
** Although we try to keep up to date builds for Linux and MacOSX these sometimes lag behind the windows builds. So if you want the latest version / features, it is best to build the application from the trunk of the SVN. The build process relies on qmake to allow for easy cross platform compilation.
VolViewer has been used to in the following:
- Front cover: Handbook of Plant Science
- Bundled with the commercial Optical Projection Tomography Bioptonic 3001 scanner: Bioptonics Viewer
- In the Guardian newspaper: 3D Fruit fly