VolViewer is an open source application for the interactive visualisation and quantification of biological data. The application is written in C++ using OpenGL and Qt.
- Real-time volume rendering using an optimized 3D texture slicing algorithm.
- Interactive transfer functions to independently adjust opacity and luminance for up to three data channels.
- Real-time per channel thresholding, brightness and contrast operators.
- On-the-fly gradient computation for local illumination.
- Iso-surface computation with surface smoothing.
- Section viewing in any orientation / position.
- Real-time volume clipping.
- 3D measurements, filters & segmentation.
Nvidia Geforce 8 and above.
Image Gallery / Sample Data *
|Antirinhium Meristem||Antirinhium Seedling||Arabidopsis Leaf (GL2:GUS expression in red)||Arabidopsis Meristem (Ath8:::GUS expression in red)|
* all data courtesy of Karen Lee 
** Although I try to keep up to date builds for Linux and MacOSX these sometimes lag behind the windows builds. So if you want the latest versions, it is best to build the application from the trunk of the SVN.
This video demo shows the interactive visualisation capabilities of VolViewer.
<wikiflv width="320" height="240" logo="false">Interaction_Demo3.flv|Interaction_Demo3.png</wikiflv>
These two videos show the 3D measurement capabilities of VolViewer.
<wikiflv width="320" height="240" logo="false">Measure1_Demo.flv|Measure1_Demo.png</wikiflv>
<wikiflv width="320" height="240" logo="false">Measure2_Demo.flv|Measure2_Demo.png</wikiflv>
VolViewer has been used to in the following:
- Front cover: Handbook of Plant Science
- Bundled with the commercial Optical Projection Tomography Bioptonic 3001 scanner: Bioptonics Viewer
- In the Guardian newspaper: 3D Fruit fly